Saturday 29 November 2008

Engineering

I feel that I've not given enough attention to one of my modules, engineering design, as I am studying for a Bachelor of Science degree!

This year I've really enjoyed it - maybe it's because I'm seeing some physical results from the work that I'm doing, but anyway, here's some of the results!


This is a project using microcontrollers and c programming (a bit dated I know, but it's similar to the Arduino platform). We had to design and build an object that incorporated a light dependant resistor (LDR) and four light emitting diodes (LEDs) using C programming, printed circuit board (PCB) design software, Solidworks and a rapid prototyping machine.


This is the result: a picture frame that protects the vaulable painting within it from harmful light levels (as strong light can degrade the pictures' colour quality). As the light level increases, more warning lights turn on, indicating to the user that the picture should be moved.

No comments: